SJC

Default IF formulas--please help!!

I am trying to create a spreadsheet which others will be using to input data
which hopefully will be user friendly. I am wondering if anyone can help me
write these formulas--I haven't been able to figure it out. I am trying to
create four 'IF' formulas within one cell that will return an error message
to the user if they made a mistake on the spreadsheet or do not complete all
of the needed cells. When I put in more than one formula into the one cell,
I get an error message. Is it possible to enter in more than one formula
into one cell, and if so, any ideas on how it should be written? If this is
not possible, are there any other ideas on how I could make this work?
Thanks in advance. The basics of what I want to say are below.

If B12 is blank, and any of D12 through K12 have an 'x', return ERROR 1:
Name Missing; If B12 has text, and any of D12 through K12 are blank, return
ERROR 2: Data Missing; If B12 has text, and D12 though K12 "x"1, return
ERROR 3: More than one column checked; If c12 has "x" and H12 has "x",
return ERROR 4: Wrong data box checked.
Bob Phillips

=IF(ISBLANK(B12),IF(OR(D12="x",K12="x"),"ERROR 1:Name
Missing",IF(COUNTA(D12:K12)<8,"ERROR 2: Data
Missing",IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"x")1," ERROR 3: More than one column
checked",IF(AND(C12="x",H12="x"),"ERROR 4: Wrong data box checked","")))))

I think <g

--

HTH

RP

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

SJC

Thank you for your help. That formula thread helps quite a bit, but all four
formulas depend on if b12 is blank as the formula states, which that would
apply only for the first error. How then can I add "if b12 has text" for
error 2, 3, and 4? Thanks once again.

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

JulieD

Hi SJC

is this what you're after?
=IF(ISBLANK(B12),IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"x")=0,"ERROR 1: Name
Missing",""),IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"<"&"")<8,"ERROR 2: Data
Missing",IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"x")1,"ERROR 3: More than one column
checked",IF(AND(C12="x",H12="x"),"ERROR 4: Wrong data box checked",""))))

Cheers
JulieD

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

Sandy Mann

Julie,

Do we not still have a conflict with ERROR1 & ERROR4? For example if C12
and H12 have each got an 'x' with all other cells blank then the conditions
are met for ERROR1 but we really want ERROR4. The trouble is that H12 in
included in the D12:K12 range. That being the case then moving ERROR 1 to
the first test may solve the problem:

=IF(AND(C12="x",H12="x"),"ERROR 4: Wrong data box
checked",IF(AND(ISBLANK(B12),COUNTIF(D12:K12,"x") =0),"ERROR1: Name
Missing",IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"<"&"")<8,"ERROR 2: Data
Missing",IF(COUNTIF(D12:K12,"x")1,"ERROR 3: More than one column
checked",""))))

Just a thought

Sandy

--
to e-mail direct replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

JulieD

Hi Sandy

as far as i can tell no conflict with error 1 and error 4 as error 1 can
only occur if B12 is blank, whereas error 4 can only occur if b12 is not
blank.

Cheers
JulieD

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

Sandy Mann

Hi Julie,

Yes, you're quite right. With B12 blank and C12 & H12 having x, your
formula gives ERROR1 and when you enter a name in B12, it reverts to ERROR4
whereas my rearrangement of your formula gives ERROR4 and then when you
correct that by removing the 'x' in C12 reverts to ERROR1. Not exactly a
revelation!

Regards

Sandy

--

"SJC" wrote in message
[...]

SJC

Thank you all so much for your help. All of the formulas are working--I
appreciate you sharing your expertise. I have only one last question. If
all fields are blank, meaning the person did not use all of the lines, there
still returns one of the error messages. Is there a way to add to the
current formula so that if all fields in the line are blank, no error message
will be returned? Thanks once again!!