Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linking Spreadsheets

I have a workbook that contains a list of project numbers and file
names. The file names in this workbook are the names of xcel workbooks
that contain current estimate data.

I have another workbook that contains a list of project numbers (and
other project data).

Can I link from the second workbook to the files named in the first
workbook, open those files and retrieve data?

How?

For example, workbook one contains 1 column, the project number:
1234
6106
5678

Workbook two contains 2 columns:
A B
1234 \\server\data\project data\10.xls
6106 \\server\data\project data\11.xls
5678 \\server\data\project data\12.xls

I want to find the file named in column B of workbook 2 (based on the
project number in column A of workbook one and the project number in
column A of workbook 2) and retrieve data from the worksheet named XYZ
in that workbook.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This may shed some light on the matter;
http://exceltips.vitalnews.com/E220_...Workbooks.html