Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Apply Data Validation List only IF . . .

Just wondering if I could conditionally apply a DV drop down list to a cell
only if a referenced cell is equal to a certain value. I am using Excel 2003
and am looking for a NON macro solution.
-OR-
return the value of a cell (containing a DV drop down) to the first value of
the list (usually a blank) when the data in the named range changes and the
list is updated.
Again, not looking for a macro.

can either of these be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is how to do it.

Put the value into referred cell that you wish to check for.

Then add DV with an allow type of Custom, and a formula of say

=IF(E1<"",the_list_range)

where E1 is that referenced cell.

changing E1 should work the DV cell as you want.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"KUMPFfrog" wrote in message
Just wondering if I could conditionally apply a DV drop down list to a
cell
only if a referenced cell is equal to a certain value. I am using Excel
2003
and am looking for a NON macro solution.
-OR-
return the value of a cell (containing a DV drop down) to the first value
of
the list (usually a blank) when the data in the named range changes and
the
list is updated.
Again, not looking for a macro.

can either of these be done?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bob,
That seems to do what I asked, but I guess I really needed to take it a step
further and say that if, from your example, E1 does ="" - - then not only do
I NOT want to have a list, but I also want the value of that cell (DV cell)
to be blank. Which means it would need to delete whatever value was in the
cell before E1 became "". Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help - any
other thoughts?