Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default DATEVALUE, etc. and Australian date format

I have a client in Australia that uses dd/mm/yyyy as their default date
format. Applications that use DATEVALUE or similar functions that take a
date string used to work on "24/03/2008" but now they do not.

Am I missing something, or is this an error/enhancement in Excel 2007? Is
there a solution?
--
Lolt Proegler
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:11:00 -0700, LProegler <MrLolt wrote:

I have a client in Australia that uses dd/mm/yyyy as their default date
format. Applications that use DATEVALUE or similar functions that take a
date string used to work on "24/03/2008" but now they do not.

Am I missing something, or is this an error/enhancement in Excel 2007? Is
there a solution?

Check the date format when you select Start/Control Panel/Regional and Language
settings.

DATEVALUE should work OK on dates that conform to the format in Control
Panel/Regional and Language settings.

The date format within Excel itself does not affect this.

When my Regional and Language settings are English(US),
=DATEVALUE("24/03/2008") -- #VALUE!

But if I change it to English(Australian), the same formula -- 39531 which is
28/03/2008 when formatted as a date.

--ron