Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Mix Formula

Hi,
I have to analyze a final contract with 348 rows, and here is an example of
what I want:

The three left columns (a, b, and c) are the basic data
What I want to calculate is columns D to I.
I can do it by separate formulas, but can I do it with one?
Using Excel 2003.

Any help?
Thanks,
Amnon

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

" can I do it with one?"
Perhaps, perhaps not.
Assuming that your formulas in D through I are each using the results of one
of the cells 'to the left' of the particular column, it's quite possible that
you can. Although if they're long formulas, you may run beyond the maximum
length of a formula allowed.

Basically you start replacing references to previous formula/function
results in cells with the formula/function within them.

(Trivial) Example:
A B C D E F
1 2 7 6 =A1+B1 =B1+C1 =D1*E1

you could change formula in F1 to:
=(A1+B1)*(B1+C1)
and do away with the need for the formulas in D1 and E1 completely.

The danger of doing this kind of thing is twofold:
#1 you may mess up the changes in your final formula and not end up with the
proper result. Keep the original formulas around and work up your 'super
formula' on a separate row using same data until you're sure it works
properly.
#2 the logic of the calculations tends to get lost so that if changes have
to be made later, you may be somewhat at a loss to do them properly.
Somewhere you want to keep a record of the original formulas you used along
with an explanation of them and then an explanation of the super formula
itself, just in case.