Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula for selecting cells in one table from values in another

I have a table that I created in a GIS of tax parcel numbers that are in a
specific zoning district. I have another table that was created in my tax
assessing program of all tax parcels in town with parcel location address,
owner, mailing address, etc.

I'm trying to write a formula that will match the individual lots in the GIS
table and select only those in the assessment table that match and returns
the parcel #, Location , Owner and mailing address.

GIS table
101-005-000-000
105-002-000-000
201-220-000-000

Assessing table
101-001-000-000 221 Lark Street Joe Blow PO Box 111 Belmont, NH 03220
101-002-000-000 222 Lark Street Jane Cool 221 Lark St Belmont.......
101-003-000-000 223 Lark ......
220-099-001-000 10 Downing St John Major 2244 Beacon St Boston .....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put this in B1 of your GIS table:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A1,Tax_table,0)),"",VLOOKUP($A1,Ta x_table,COLUMN(B1),
0))

I've assumed that you have a defined name Tax_table which covers all
the data in your assessment table - you could substitute the sheet and
cell address (absolute) if you wish to.

Copy the formula across for as many columns as you have in your
assessment table, and then copy that block of formulae down for as
many entries as you have in your GIS table.

Hope this helps.

Pete