Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default End Down goes to infinity

If column 1 has data in each of the, say, first 100 rows, and Iinsert an
adjacent column 2 and ensure that column 2 is empty, then I enter data in the
first cell of column 2, then I try to copy the new cell down all the way down
to the bottom of the row that is the same as the last row of column 1, how
can I take advantage of column 1? I sort of would like to press copy A2 then
move left to column 1, then do End Down, then move back to column 2, then
press Enter. But I always end up down at infinity at the bottom of Excel.

Any clues? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Keith,

If there is no data in column C, or there is some sort of data in ever cell
of column C down to the last row of your data (row 100 in your example),
then double-click the fill handle. If the data in column C is spotty, then
this won't work. It will fill down to the cell just above the first blank
cell in column C. This little trick uses the column immdiately to the right
as a guide, and if there is no data in that column, it uses the one
immediately to the left as a guide.

A keyboard shortcut way of doing it:
With B2 as the selected cell:
1. [Left Arrow] 'moves to cell A1
2. [Ctrl] + [Down Arrow] 'moves to last cell in A1 (as
long as every cell has data in it)
3. [Right Arrow] 'moves to cell B{whatever}
4. [Ctrl] + [Shift] + [Up Arrow] 'selects all cells from
B{whatever} to B1
5. [Ctrl] + D 'fills down

HTH,

Conan