Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes

Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here during a
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24 hours so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00. I
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try formatting the formula cell as [h]:mm

The brackets keep the hours from rolling over into days.

8:00
8:00
8:00

=SUM(A1:A3) formatted as h:mm = 0:00. Formatted as [h]:mm = 24:00

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message
Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here during
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24 hours
so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00. I
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff,

So I right clicked and went to custom format cell and tried that and no
change. I tried added it to the equation and it gave me the value error.
Any other ideas?

Teri

"Teri" wrote in message
Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here during
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24 hours
so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00. I
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Any other ideas?

The times you have entered may not be true Excel times. True Excel times are
just numbers formatted to look like time. For example, 12:00 PM (or 12:00)
has a true numeric value of 0.5.

Assume your range of times is in D14:D20. If every cell has a true Excel
time in it then this formula will return 7:

=COUNT(D14:D20)

If that formula returns 0 then your times aren't true Excel times.

How are you entering the time? Like this - 8:00 ? Another clue is the cell
alignment. Numbers (including time) will by default align to the right. Text
will align to the left.

Try this.

Select an empty cell somewhere that hasn't been used before. It's default
format should be GENERAL.

Copy that empty cell: goto EditCopy
Select your range of times in D14:D20
Goto EditPaste SpecialADDOK

Did that do anything?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message
Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here
during
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24
hours
so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00.
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total
is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Biff,

Thanks for that, I'm thinking that you are correct that the numbers are not
True Excel times. The =count formula did return 0.

There are 4 columns in my worksheet. Date, Drop off Time, Pick Up Time,
Total Hours/Minutes.

So one row example would be:

Drop Off Pick Up Total Hours/Minutes
12:15 PM 5:15 PM 5:00

and the formula I used for that is =TEXT(C14-B14,"h:mm")

Your second suggestion of copying and pasting D14:D20 into a blank spot on
the work sheet returned the #Value! error.

How do I enter "True Excel Times"? Thanks again for all your help

"Teri" wrote in message
Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here
during
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24
hours
so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00.
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total
is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, here's your problem:

the formula I used for that is =TEXT(C14-B14,"h:mm")

The TEXT() function returns a TEXT string. Even though the result of that
formula may look like a time value it is not. It's a TEXT value.

So, use this as your formula:

=C14-B14

Format as h:mm

Or, to make it a little more robust:

=IF(COUNT(B14:C14)<2,"",C14-B14)

Then for the weekly/monthly total:

=SUM(D14:D20)

Format as [h]:mm

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff you are my hero! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think what my problem is I just don't know what I am doing hahaha, anyways
it works perfect now. Thanks again!

Teri

Ok, here's your problem:

"Teri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message
Biff you are my hero! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think what my problem is I just don't know what I am doing hahaha,
anyways
it works perfect now. Thanks again!

Teri

Ok, here's your problem:

"Teri" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum Time in Hours and Minutes

That worked for me. Thanks Biff!

T. Valko wrote:

How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes
13-Mar-08

Try formatting the formula cell as [h]:mm

The brackets keep the hours from rolling over into days.

8:00
8:00
8:00

=SUM(A1:A3) formatted as h:mm = 0:00. Formatted as [h]:mm = 24:00

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:48 PM
Ter wrote:

How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes
Hi all,

I run a dayhome and am trying to make my life easier on myself with my
attendance sheet but can't figure out why the formula wont work.

I am trying to get the sum of hours and minutes each child is here during a
month so I can easily figure out what to charge the parents.

The problem I seem to be having is the total is always more than 24 hours so
if I use the formula =SUM(D14:D20) the total only comes up as 0:00:00. I
believe I read that, that specific formula is only good when the total is
less than 24 hours.

Hopefully this is making sense, does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:36 AM
T. Valko wrote:

How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes
Try formatting the formula cell as [h]:mm

The brackets keep the hours from rolling over into days.

8:00
8:00
8:00

=SUM(A1:A3) formatted as h:mm = 0:00. Formatted as [h]:mm = 24:00

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:20 AM
Ter wrote:

Hi Biff,So I right clicked and went to custom format cell and tried that and
Hi Biff,

So I right clicked and went to custom format cell and tried that and no
change. I tried added it to the equation and it gave me the value error.
Any other ideas?

Teri

"T. Valko" wrote:

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:23 AM
T. Valko wrote:

[...]

"Teri" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:11 PM
Ter wrote:

Hi Biff,Thanks for that, I'm thinking that you are correct that the numbers
Hi Biff,

Thanks for that, I'm thinking that you are correct that the numbers are not
True Excel times. The =count formula did return 0.

There are 4 columns in my worksheet. Date, Drop off Time, Pick Up Time,
Total Hours/Minutes.

So one row example would be:

Drop Off Pick Up Total Hours/Minutes
12:15 PM 5:15 PM 5:00

and the formula I used for that is =TEXT(C14-B14,"h:mm")

Your second suggestion of copying and pasting D14:D20 into a blank spot on
the work sheet returned the #Value! error.

How do I enter "True Excel Times"? Thanks again for all your help

"T. Valko" wrote:

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:19 PM
T. Valko wrote:

How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes
Ok, here's your problem:

The TEXT() function returns a TEXT string. Even though the result of that
formula may look like a time value it is not. It's a TEXT value.

So, use this as your formula:

=C14-B14

Format as h:mm

Or, to make it a little more robust:

=IF(COUNT(B14:C14)<2,"",C14-B14)

Then for the weekly/monthly total:

=SUM(D14:D20)

Format as [h]:mm

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Teri" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:56 PM
Ter wrote:

Biff you are my hero! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Biff you are my hero! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I think what my problem is I just do not know what I am doing hahaha, anyways
it works perfect now. Thanks again!

Teri

"T. Valko" wrote:

On Thursday, March 13, 2008 3:20 PM
T. Valko wrote:

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

On Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:14 AM
muhammad javaid wrote:

How to Sum Time in Hours & Minutes
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Putting Twitter Realtime Search to Work
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...-realtime.aspx
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome!