Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default TRIM FUNCTION...how to?

The trim function on a full range of cells? Where/How to input?

Hello, I have a worksheet with 3,400 entries that were uploaded from an
outside program. Because the info was originally imported from our website
it contains many non printable "blank" characters at the end of all text that
I'd like to remove. If I wanted to delete all of the blank characters from
column A how do I do that? In what cell do I input the formula? and is this
the correct formula...
=TRIM(A2:A3400)? THANKS!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

TRIM trims the contents of one cell, not of a range.
The best way to do this, is to insert a new Column B, if existing Column B
contains data. Then in B2 enter =TRIM(A2)

Now move your cursor to the bottom right hand corner of B2. You will notice
that its shape changes. When this happens, doubleclick your mouse, and it
will copy all the way down, provided there are no vacant cells in the range.

Now select B2 to B whatever, right click, select copy, right click and
select Paste Special, Values. That will remove the formula, and insert the
trimmed text. If satisfied that this is what you want, you can either delete
Column A - be careful that you do not destroy formulae, or else you can copy
Col B and paste special values to Col A

--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman
Change xxx to hotmail

"Shayra" wrote:

The trim function on a full range of cells? Where/How to input?

Hello, I have a worksheet with 3,400 entries that were uploaded from an
outside program. Because the info was originally imported from our website
it contains many non printable "blank" characters at the end of all text that
I'd like to remove. If I wanted to delete all of the blank characters from
column A how do I do that? In what cell do I input the formula? and is this
the correct formula...
=TRIM(A2:A3400)? THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad I could help!