Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with IF function please 03.08.08

Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I would suggest
=if(E17="V",G17*.0175,0)

So that, if any value other than V, then $0.

"Essjay" wrote:

Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming E and V are the only entry possibilities for Column E, try this
formula...

=G17*(E17="V")*17.5%

Rick

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Correction:

In F17 put this formula =IF(E17="V",G17*17.5%,IF(E17="E",0,"?"))

Tyro

"Tyro" wrote in message
. net...
In G17 put this formula =IF(E17="V",17*17.5%,IF(E17="E",0,"?"))

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This person is a tyro.

If you say so. Is that good or bad?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It both. It's bad if you're a tyro. If's ok if you've been programming for
44 years as I have. I've seen obfuscation that would blow your socks off
<g.

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
This person is a tyro.

If you say so. Is that good or bad?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the OP doesn't understand, he can always ask how it works and why Biff is
suggesting it that way. It's called improving your skills.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think you missed the point. The OP is just beginning to learn. It's
counter productive to use advanced techniques just to save a few keystrokes
or confuse the OP with something he/she doesn't grasp at all. (A snow job).
You have to see it from the beginner's point of view and apply the KISS
principle. With time and experience, the OP will learn more sophisticated
techniques. Let's not jump to advanced calculus before we have learned
simple arithmetic. BTW, I blew the final calculus exam in college. I got
99%. I screwed up royally by not putting +C at the end of an integration
answer. Lost 1%. Cost me a perfect paper.

Tyro

..
"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
If the OP doesn't understand, he can always ask how it works and why Biff
is suggesting it that way. It's called improving your skills.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

May I add, now I learned a more efficent way to perform the calculation, so I
can't complain too much.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

If the OP doesn't understand, he can always ask how it works and why Biff is
suggesting it that way. It's called improving your skills.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I doubt it is more efficient. Obfuscated, certainly.

Tyro

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

If the OP doesn't understand, he can always ask how it works and why Biff
is
suggesting it that way. It's called improving your skills.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a
zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00
200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

You have received many answers, each of which will deal with the calculation
you asked.
However, if you are dealing with UK VAT, I have some observations to add.

Under UK HMCE rules there are codes for several different VAT rates -
Z,X,E,O,S,L,H,I,P
There is no VAT code V, it should be S for Standard to attract a current
rate of 17.5% , so from both your viewpoint, and that of the invoice
recipient, it would serve you well to comply with the HMCE directive.

L - Lower currently 5% (only applies the Domestic Fuel bills and is
probably something you would not be using)
H - Higher rate is not currently being used
S - Standard is currently 17.5%
P - Partial Exemption (unlikely to be used in your particular case - applies
to some property situations)

X - Excluded, E - Exempt, O - Outside the scope and Z - Zero are all 0%

Personally, I would have Column F as the Net Amount, Column G as the VAT
Amount and column H as the Gross amount.
The formula in column G would then become
=IF(E17="S",ROUND(F17*17.5%,2),0)

Without knowing your circumstances, I would suspect that it is is S and Z
you should be using, rather than V and E.
You should confirm with your HMCE inspector to ensure that you are
complying.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00 200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And that is another benefit, others read these posts and learn things too.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

If the OP doesn't understand, he can always ask how it works and why Biff
is
suggesting it that way. It's called improving your skills.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Tyro" wrote in message
et...
Obfuscation? This person is a tyro. Simple IF's will help the OP

Tyro

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Try this in F17:

=(E17="V")*G17*17.5%

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Essjay" wrote in message
Can anyone help with syntax for an IF formula as under:
If E17=E (for exempt) then F17=$0.00 but
If E17=V (for VAT) then F17=G17*17.5%
I have an invoice on which some items are taxable and some not. If I
put
the E or V letter in Column E, then I want it to return either a
zero
value
or to calculate the tax in column F on Column G at 17.5%. Is this
possible?

e.g. A B - D E F G
Qty. Desc. E $0.00
200.00
Qty. Desc. V $147.00 840.00

Any help much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Tyro" wrote in message
. net...
I doubt it is more efficient. Obfuscated, certainly.

Well I am afraid you are just plain wrong there.

I just timed it and Biff''s is 31% faster than Sean's first formula, and 41%
faster than yours. By my reckoning that is more efficient.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think that execution time should take predence over the
understanding of a simple formula. How much time is involved here. 10
microseconds? 20 microseconds, 5 days?

Tyro

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

"Tyro" wrote in message
. net...
I doubt it is more efficient. Obfuscated, certainly.

Well I am afraid you are just plain wrong there.

I just timed it and Biff''s is 31% faster than Sean's first formula, and
41% faster than yours. By my reckoning that is more efficient.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. You're correct in that my query does
deal with UK VAT. The only reason I used the letters V & E was more as an
"aide memoire" for the person doing the input ~ V to stand for VATable and E
for Exempt. The VAT element will only ever fall into the customary standard
17.5% (unless otherwise amended by HMG!), or be Exempt, so I was trying to
apply the KISS principle to the formula. I will re-jig the columnisation to
reflect your suggestion.
I'd just like to thank everyone for the time they've taken with my query and
for sharing their knowledge so readily.
Regards
Essjay