Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to retrieve data from web link?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve data from web link?
As I know, Data Import External Data New Web Query, after inserting the
web link, the whole page will be loaded into Excel - temp worksheet, and then
I can retrieve the required data into Summary worksheet by locating the data
from specific cell under temp worksheet.

Does anyone know any other approach to retrieve the data from the web link
without importing into temp worksheet? For example, if I know the specific
data will be located in cell B11 under temp worksheet, can I create a
specific web link referring to this location for retrieving data without

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

(Sorry to ask you a question when I don't have an answer to yours.) The
Excel 2000 Step By Step, p 151, has an exercise to import data per your
example.
But the book doesn't say which URL to use. Any ideas? I've already checked
the errata in MSPress for this issue but no luck.
Thanks.

"Eric" wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve data from web link?
As I know, Data Import External Data New Web Query, after inserting the
web link, the whole page will be loaded into Excel - temp worksheet, and then
I can retrieve the required data into Summary worksheet by locating the data
from specific cell under temp worksheet.

Does anyone know any other approach to retrieve the data from the web link
without importing into temp worksheet? For example, if I know the specific
data will be located in cell B11 under temp worksheet, can I create a
specific web link referring to this location for retrieving data without

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't have the book - Excel 2000 Step By Step, does anyone have any
suggestions?
Thank everyone very much for any suggestions
Eric