Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Securing Excel Workbook

Hi everybody
I made a set of internally & externally linked excell workbook, and I would
like to prevent copying and distribution
What is the best way to do so?
Is it the rights managements? Is it enough? will it prevent copying the main
excel files?

Thanks for your time.

A.El Tohamy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are your users all ethical? If so, DRM may be enough. But then, you'd
just need to put a message in the workbook saying "don't copy or
distribute".

DRM will make it harder to transfer files, or to gain unauthorized
access, but once users can open your workbook, there's really nothing
that can be done to prevent them from copying everything in it, assuming
they have the will and can scrounge enough neurons together to find
these groups.

You can do better by compiling your code in a COM add-in and doing some
sort of check within it to make sure the user/machine/network is
authorized.

In article ,
A.El Tohamy wrote:

I made a set of internally & externally linked excell workbook, and I would
like to prevent copying and distribution
What is the best way to do so?
Is it the rights managements? Is it enough? will it prevent copying the main
excel files?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear Mr. McGimpsey,
Thank you very much for your reply
I think users are not ethical every where, and I do not want to risk that
someone take my efforts or just copy it and simply distribute it.
Meanwhile can you advise how can I proceed with this COM add-in?