Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot table problem

Hi,

I have data that i use to make a pivot table, the data contains dates as
mmm-yy but the pivot table shows them as 1/2/07, 2/2/07 etc.. it shows me
each day in the month! i do not want this. i just want it to give me a total
of how many of each thing there is per month (for example, aug07 total = 20)-
i do not want to know how many there was on 1/2/07 and then the next day etc.

please help, this is urgent!

thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gemz

Right click on the dates and select group and then select months (and years
if there is more than 1) from the list. This will group the data by month
--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Gemz" wrote in message

I have data that i use to make a pivot table, the data contains dates as
mmm-yy but the pivot table shows them as 1/2/07, 2/2/07 etc.. it shows me
each day in the month! i do not want this. i just want it to give me a
total
of how many of each thing there is per month (for example, aug07 total =
20)-
i do not want to know how many there was on 1/2/07 and then the next day
etc.

please help, this is urgent!

thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I tried this but it doesnt work, when i select all dates within the pivot
table i right click and go to group but it doesnt give me any option like you
say.. it does group them but it just calls it group 1, 2, 3 etc but doesnt
really group anything!

i am using office 2003. what am i doing wrong?

thanks.