Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to reverse sign?

Excel 2007

I have a column of numbers, all negative.
Like:
-213.00
-4,521.78

I want to change them to positive.

Not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

GC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

Enter -1 in an empty cell
Copy that cell
Select the range that you want to convert
Then: Paste SpecialMultiplyOK
Delete the -1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chips" wrote in message
Excel 2007

I have a column of numbers, all negative.
Like:
-213.00
-4,521.78

I want to change them to positive.

Not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

GC

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Glad that worked for you in spite of all my "typo's" (was on the phone
during my response.)

"Chips" wrote in message
multiply by -1 did the trick.

Thanks,

Greg

"Chips" wrote in message
Excel 2007

I have a column of numbers, all negative.
Like:
-213.00
-4,521.78

I want to change them to positive.

Not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

GC

Junior Member

A fairly quick fix is to highlight the column of negative numbers; go to the Home tab and click on Find & Select drop down. Click on Replace. On the Replace tab, Find what: box put in a negative sign and in the Replace with: box hit the space bar once. Then you can replace one at a time or replace all the negatives in the column by clicking on Replace All.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips View Post
Excel 2007

I have a column of numbers, all negative.
Like:
-213.00
-4,521.78

I want to change them to positive.

Not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

GC
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly Gillett Poole View Post
A fairly quick fix is to highlight the column of negative numbers; go to the Home tab and click on Find & Select drop down. Click on Replace. On the Replace tab, Find what: box put in a negative sign and in the Replace with: box hit the space bar once. Then you can replace one at a time or replace all the negatives in the column by clicking on Replace All.
I would use the =ABS() forumla in a new column then 'Paste Special / Values" over the originals...

If your negative number is in A2, put =ABS(A2) in a blank column and copy down.