Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Remove * from value

Is there anyway using find and replace if I have a number and then an *.
Example 5* How can I replace the '*' from the field so that the formula
MAX will work. Any way please. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"*","")

Replace A1 with the needed cell.

--
Yanick

"Anthony" wrote:

Is there anyway using find and replace if I have a number and then an *.
Example 5* How can I replace the '*' from the field so that the formula
MAX will work. Any way please. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In your 'Find what' dialog, preceed the asterisk with a tilde (~).

ex. - ~*

This is located above the Tab key.

HTH,
Paul

--

"Anthony" wrote in message
Is there anyway using find and replace if I have a number and then an *.
Example 5* How can I replace the '*' from the field so that the formula
MAX will work. Any way please. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did not know about the "~" trick. Is "~" used to specified that the next
caractere is text?

Any-way... I will not forget this trick!

--
Yanick

"Anthony" wrote in message
Is there anyway using find and replace if I have a number and then an *.
Example 5* How can I replace the '*' from the field so that the formula
MAX will work. Any way please. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It basically tells Excel that the next character is a literal. This can be
used for an asterisk (*), a question mark (?), or even another tilde (~).
When trying to find a tilde (~), you would actually find (~~).

It's kind of a cool thing to know.

Regards,
Paul

--

"Anthony" wrote in message
Is there anyway using find and replace if I have a number and then an
*.