Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help me some Function

from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2

Square both sides:

E^2 = (a + b)^2

Take the square root of both sides:

E = a + b

subtract a form both sides:

E - a = b

Or am I missing something?

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Krisda" wrote in message
from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just to confirm what Sandy said:
E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
simplify right side (which says square and then square root - these cancel
each other)
E = (a+b)
b = E-a
Don't let Excel blind you so that the math gets lost!
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Krisda" wrote in message
from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

b = E-a

Don't forget there is a Square function also, so most likely two solutions:
:)

b = -a + e
OR
b = -a - e

(ie b could be -7, or +1)

a=3
b=-7
?((a+b)^2)^(1/2)
4

b=1
?((a+b)^2)^(1/2)
4

--
:)
Dana DeLouis

"Krisda" wrote in message
from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

mmmmm.....

So that was what I was missing. <g

I know that this is an XL NG not a maths one and I accept that the maths
does work out but does that mean that it is possible to resolve:

E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2

into

b = -a - e

--

"Krisda" wrote in message
from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

True enough, but usually when I see this kind of construction, it is because
a calculator is being used and the person wants to get the square root
whether the argument is positive or negative (usually because there is a
subtraction and the person doesn't want to pay attention to the order the
values being subtracted are in). As I said, usually a calculator is being
used and the reason behind doing this is there is no Absolute function
available. With Excel, of course, there is. Given that, I would think this
expression...

E: =SQRT((A1+B1)^2)

would be more properly written like this instead...

E: = ABS(a+b)

Of course, there are still two answers as you point out, one for the
possible positive value inside the ABS function and one for the possible
negative value in there.

Rick

"Krisda" wrote in message
from E = [(a+b)^2]^1/2
write in excel is " =sqrt((a1+b1)^2) "

but I need to find a volume of "b" but,I have a "E" and "a"
How to writr a function for excel to calculate to give a volume of "b"

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't think I wrote the beginning of my first paragraph correctly. What I
should have said is that taking the square root of a number that is squared
is a method to make a value always positive (in a calculation performed on a
calculator).

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...