Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Creating a formula to find a range for a cross-referenced value

So, this is a complicated one: I would like to create a formula that
cross-matches between one sheet, which has the entire dataset (one row/
record for each student (unique ID number), and the values for each field) on
it, and another, which has the list of errors, independently created, which
comprises one row for each *error* - with, among other things, a column for
the studnet ID to which it refers, and a column for the field that contains
the error.

So far so okay, and I can create a formula for a new, blank table with only
student ID numbers and field headings that looks in the range of errors
associated with that student, and tell me whether a particular field has an
error in it. Hurrah! :) However, what I want Excel to do is *find that
range itself*, so that I can copy this formula to all rows of the dataset and
have it tell me whether that student has any errors for that field.

Can it be done? I have racked my brains and the Help system, and found only
tantalising hints. Can anyone help?!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Upload a sample file & post a direct link to it here

You could use:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/

Easier to see what's going on
--