Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum won't calculate result of SUMIF function - help!

I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Post your formula.

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

We need to see your formulas. And if possible, the values in the cells.

Tyro

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is your formula? What are the contents of the cells which feed into
the formula? What result are you seeing? What result did you expect?
--
David Biddulph

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hy,

it will be better if you send us a sample of your formula.

--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"exflirt" escreveu:

I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is:

=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),"$4,000")

Thanks :-)

"PCLIVE" wrote:

Post your formula.

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

you try to force excel to return 4000 if the sum of your range is less than it.

correct?

=if(sum(H7:H33)<4000,sum(h7:h33),4000)

hth
--

"exflirt" escreveu:

It is:

=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),"$4,000")

Thanks :-)

"PCLIVE" wrote:

Post your formula.

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formula seems ok, except I would change from "$4,000" to 4000 and then
format your cell appropriately. This could just be a calculation issue.
Try pressing F9. If that fixes it, then you most likely have calculations
set to manual. Tools-Options-Calculation-Automatic.

HTH,
Paul

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
It is:

=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),"$4,000")

Thanks :-)

"PCLIVE" wrote:

Post your formula.

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of
cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were
there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There are many cells involved.

To try to simplify, I have three cells I am trying to add together using the
SUM button. One contains the correct product of this function:
=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),"$4,000"), namely, the dollar amount of
$4,000. The other two cells contain the amounts $20 and $80. When the three
cells are added together using the SUM button, the dollar amount $100 is
returned. The cell with the $4,000 number is not registering for some
reason, and I need to figure out how to fix it without disturbing the SUMIF
function.

Thanks again.

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Correct. I am working on a spreadsheet for a client showing the maximum they
would have to spend, so dollar amounts are a key part of it.

Removing the $$ sign does not make a difference, and I do have my
calculations set to Automatic under the Calculations tab.

Any other suggestions?

"exflirt" escreveu:

It is:

=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),"$4,000")

Thanks :-)

"PCLIVE" wrote:

Post your formula.

--

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're not adding a number 4000, you're adding a text string "$4,000" [as
you've enclosed it in quotes].

Either
=IF(SUM(H7:H33)<4000,SUM(H7:H33),4000)
or
=MIN(SUM(H7:H33),4000)
--
David Biddulph

"exflirt" wrote in message
I am trying to include the product of a SUMIF function in a range of
cells
using the SUM button, but it is reading the cell as if nothing were
there.
Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

So does the formula return anything at all? If it is just blank, then maybe
there is some conditional formatting on that cell causing the text to be the
same color as the background.

Just a thought.
Paul