Steve

Default is there a way to write this function?

Here is basically what I want to write:

=if(G3 is the greater number of celss D6 & D2,abs(D2-D6, 10)
lets say 10 is in d6 and 16 is in d2. if g3 is 10, i want the formula result
to be 10. However if it is 16, i want the formula result to be 16. Due to the
variables, i can't write a simple if(g3d6,10,abs(D2-D6, 10).

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Steve

JulieD

Hi Steve

touched confused here but does
=IF(G3D6,G3,MAX(G3+ABS(D2-D6),G3)

give you what you want?

actually the more i look at the question the less sure i am about what you
want
if D6 = 10 and D2 = 16 and G3 = 10 you want the formula to = 10
however
if "it?" do you mean G3 = 16 you want the formula to =16

so do you just want the the formula to = what is in G3?

maybe a few more examples will help.

Cheers
JulieD

"Steve" wrote:

Here is basically what I want to write:

=if(G3 is the greater number of celss D6 & D2,abs(D2-D6, 10)
lets say 10 is in d6 and 16 is in d2. if g3 is 10, i want the formula
result
to be 10. However if it is 16, i want the formula result to be 16. Due to
the
variables, i can't write a simple if(g3d6,10,abs(D2-D6, 10).

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Steve

Steve

I apologize for the confusion. When i wrote the question I was trying to do
too much at once. When i looked back at the original question, I slapped
myself. i really didn't expect anyone to respond. I'll try again.

Basically it's like this. g3 is going to have the same value as either d2 or
d6. one or the other. the numbers in d2 and d6 are basically random.
Sometimes d2 will be a greater number, sometimes d6 will be a greater number.
The furmula would be in cell f3. what I am trying to do is: if g3 = the
lesser of d2 and d6, the result should be 10. if g3 = the greater of d2 and
d6, the result should be abs(d2-d6)+10. for example d2 = 3 and d6 = 14 and g3
= 14. the result should be 21. 14-3+10. if g3 = 3 the result should be 10.

I am sure this is super confusing and i am really sorry about that. It's one
of those things that I know what i want i just don't know the best way to put
it into words.

Thanks again,
Steve

"Steve" wrote:

Here is basically what I want to write:

=if(G3 is the greater number of celss D6 & D2,abs(D2-D6, 10)
lets say 10 is in d6 and 16 is in d2. if g3 is 10, i want the formula
result
to be 10. However if it is 16, i want the formula result to be 16. Due to
the
variables, i can't write a simple if(g3d6,10,abs(D2-D6, 10).

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Steve

JulieD

Hi Steve

how about
=IF(G3=MIN(D2,D6),10,ABS(D2-D6)+10)

Cheers
JulieD

"Steve" wrote:

Here is basically what I want to write:

=if(G3 is the greater number of celss D6 & D2,abs(D2-D6, 10)
lets say 10 is in d6 and 16 is in d2. if g3 is 10, i want the formula
result
to be 10. However if it is 16, i want the formula result to be 16. Due
the
variables, i can't write a simple if(g3d6,10,abs(D2-D6, 10).

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Steve

Steve

JullieD if you weren't in cyberland I'd kiss you.

Thanks,
Steve

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Steve

how about
=IF(G3=MIN(D2,D6),10,ABS(D2-D6)+10)

Cheers
JulieD

"Steve" wrote:

Here is basically what I want to write:

=if(G3 is the greater number of celss D6 & D2,abs(D2-D6, 10)
lets say 10 is in d6 and 16 is in d2. if g3 is 10, i want the formula
result
to be 10. However if it is 16, i want the formula result to be 16. Due
the
variables, i can't write a simple if(g3d6,10,abs(D2-D6, 10).

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Steve

JulieD

<vbg

glad it worked!

"Steve" wrote in message
JullieD if you weren't in cyberland I'd kiss you.

Thanks,
Steve

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Steve