Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Wildcards with numbers....* & ? not working

We have a time sheet program and for what ever reason it rounds down at five
rather than up, like most of us are taught growing up. For example, if we end
up with a time in decimal format of 1.25 hours. it rounds this time back to
1.2. From 1.6 and above it rounds up. Now this being a time sheet the actual
total time in decimal format will always be changing. I have the following
equation setup right now and it works. =IF(A1=1.25, RoundDown(A1, 1),
Round(A1, 1)). Of course right now this works only with 1.25. I need to
wildcard the "1.2" and leave the 5 for recognition. Can anyone help?? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The ROUND function works like you thought it should; if I put 1.25 in A1 and
=ROUND(A1,1) in another cell, it reports 1.3 as the answer. So, I have to
conclude that you do not have 1.25 in your cell; rather, I suspect you are
adding values and have the totaling cell formatted to display 2 decimal
places. Then, if you had a total of, say, 1.249, it would display as 1.25,
but retains it actual value of 1.249 so that when you applied the ROUND
function, it would round down to 1.2 because the underlying value is really
less than 1.25. Does this by any chance describe your situation?

Rick

"the_superfly5" wrote in message
We have a time sheet program and for what ever reason it rounds down at
five
rather than up, like most of us are taught growing up. For example, if we
end
up with a time in decimal format of 1.25 hours. it rounds this time back
1.2. From 1.6 and above it rounds up. Now this being a time sheet the
actual
total time in decimal format will always be changing. I have the following
equation setup right now and it works. =IF(A1=1.25, RoundDown(A1, 1),
Round(A1, 1)). Of course right now this works only with 1.25. I need to
wildcard the "1.2" and leave the 5 for recognition. Can anyone help??
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not sure what you want. You're stating that Excel is rounding 1.25 down
to 1.2 rather than rounding up to 1.3. Yet your formula is rounding 1.25
down to 1.2.
Excel would round 1.25 up to 1.3 with =ROUND(A1,1). Please explain what you
really want.

Tyro