Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIF and #VALUE! when source is closed?

Hi all,
I have stuck one more problem. I tried to search through earlier questions
but didn't find solution.

I have 2 files, first has product code (column A), name and another
information between and batch amount in packaging column J and kg column K.

In second file there is column A the same product code (6 numbers) and
column G is total amount per year, H is total amount kg per year. I have
formula

=COUNTIF('[File1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$3:$A$316;A2)

and it works fine if source is open. After source is closed or only file2 is
opened and updated, error #VALUE! appears. Is this avoidable and if so,
how...?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"NeedToKnow" kirjoitti:

Hi all,
I have stuck one more problem. I tried to search through earlier questions
but didn't find solution.

I have 2 files, first has product code (column A), name and another
information between and batch amount in packaging column J and kg column K.

In second file there is column A the same product code (6 numbers) and
column G is total amount per year, H is total amount kg per year. I have
formula

=COUNTIF('[File1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$3:$A$316;A2)

and it works fine if source is open. After source is closed or only file2 is
opened and updated, error #VALUE! appears. Is this avoidable and if so,
how...?

Hi.

SUMIF/COUNTIF don't work with closed workbooks. You'll need to try
SUMPRODUCT. Try the link below for instructions:-

Matt Richardson
http://teachr.blogspot.com
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ok, thank you. So basicly I have done all ok but using the wrong function.

Happy Valentine's day!

"Matt Richardson" kirjoitti:

"NeedToKnow" kirjoitti:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It was only the "wrong" function because you are working across 2 workbooks
rather than within just one. I wouldn't beat myself up too badly over that!

"NeedToKnow" wrote:

Ok, thank you. So basicly I have done all ok but using the wrong function.

Happy Valentine's day!