Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with Vlookup in Excel

Please help this beginner! I export a Foxpro database to an Excel
spreadsheet. In a separate (job quote) spreadsheet I try to match a quote
number to it's corresonding row in the exported spreadsheet and fill in cells
in the quote sheet. What I get is #N/A. If I format the column in the
exported spreadsheet as either a number with no decimal places, or
General--the problem persists. But if I re-type the number (in the exported
spreadsheet) the number goes from left justified to right justified and now
the Vlookup formula in the quote sheet works. The exported spreadsheet grows
daily and I'd like to be able to find an automated way to use that data. Why
do I have to re-type the info?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

In exported table, the field is text, i.e values there are interpreted as
strings like "12345". In other sheet, you entered numbers, like 12345. For
Excel, those are different values and don't equal.

Possible solutions:
a) modify the query from dbf-table, so that numeric string in this column is
converted to number;
b) modify another sheet, so that instead numbers numeric strings are in
according column;
c) or change the VLOOKUP formula like
=VLOOKUP("" & SearchValue, RangeToSearch, ColumnNum,0)

PS. For a) or b), I advice to format the leftmost column as Text, and then
requery. Otherwise whenever you happen to activate edit mode in any cell in
this column (double-clicking on it or pressing F2), the value there is
converted to number, and you get #N/A again.

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"keeno" wrote in message
Please help this beginner! I export a Foxpro database to an Excel
spreadsheet. In a separate (job quote) spreadsheet I try to match a quote
number to it's corresonding row in the exported spreadsheet and fill in
cells
in the quote sheet. What I get is #N/A. If I format the column in the
exported spreadsheet as either a number with no decimal places, or
General--the problem persists. But if I re-type the number (in the
exported
spreadsheet) the number goes from left justified to right justified and
now
the Vlookup formula in the quote sheet works. The exported spreadsheet
grows
daily and I'd like to be able to find an automated way to use that data.
Why
do I have to re-type the info?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Format all to General.

Copy an empty cell.

Select the range of bogus numbers abd EditPaste SpecialAddOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:45:01 -0800, keeno
wrote:

Please help this beginner! I export a Foxpro database to an Excel
spreadsheet. In a separate (job quote) spreadsheet I try to match a quote
number to it's corresonding row in the exported spreadsheet and fill in cells
in the quote sheet. What I get is #N/A. If I format the column in the
exported spreadsheet as either a number with no decimal places, or
General--the problem persists. But if I re-type the number (in the exported
spreadsheet) the number goes from left justified to right justified and now
the Vlookup formula in the quote sheet works. The exported spreadsheet grows
daily and I'd like to be able to find an automated way to use that data. Why
do I have to re-type the info?

Vlookup problem with Access Query import into Excel 2000 Neophyte New Users to Excel 4 July 17th 06 03:31 AM
Vlookup problem dk New Users to Excel 5 June 6th 06 08:49 PM
Vlookup problem.. Neo1 Excel Worksheet Functions 5 March 16th 06 09:53 AM
Excel Forumla (vlookup problem) dan61021 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 February 13th 06 03:41 AM
Excel Problem: VLookup andyp161 Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 18th 04 12:29 PM