Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default FREEZING several cells of data?

I have a few collums of data, numbers, I want to be protected or
frozen. I want then to not be able to be edited unless I give
permission. How do I do this?

USING Office 97

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Click on the small grey square at the joint or the Column Letters and Row
numbers to select all cells then select: Format Cells Protection and
uncheck *locked*

Next select the cells that you want to protect, ( hlod the Ctrl key pressed
if they are not cntiguous), and select as above but this time check the
*Locked* again. This will lock only the cells that you want protected.

Finally to make the locking active protect the sheet by selecting: Tools
Protection Protect Sheet. Leave the three options selected, (there are
more in later versions), and enter a pasword then click OK. Re-emter the
password in the confirmation dialog box, (Don't forget the password!)

Sheet protection is not very strong. It will keep the average used put but
anyone who knows a bit about Xl will be able to break it quite simply.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings