Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bh1 bh1 is offline

Default custom addin gives #name? errors

I have a spreadsheet and addin file f.xla that an associate sent me as a
pair. In Excel 2003 the addin shows on the add in list. I check it but none
of the cells that use the functions in the addin sheet calculate. they all
end up with name errors.
for example one of the cells has the formula

{=TRANSPOSE(f.xla!xHXCross(WGIAU,Q74,Q71,Q70,Q75,R 75,R74,F71,F70,F75,G75,WGIAT,"ST"}
When I select the "show calculation steps" under the information button and
I select the "step out" the #NAME? shows up where the f.xla!xHXCross is in
the formula. If I continue stepping through the formula the #name? shows
as the result. When I look in the links and check the status of the f.xla
says "source is open"

I would like to know either a solution or a resource that might help me
figure out how to get the addin working correctly. my associate went over
the same setting I just told you about, said they did not know and gave up.
His works fine.

I have uncheked all the addins, closed excel reopened it and rechecked all
of them. That did not seem to help.

Thank you in advance for your assisatance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

RTFM and then try contacting the programs author.
Most programmers would want to know if their creations are having problems. (I would)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"bh1"
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just a complete guess...

Select the range that has the offending formulas (or all the cells on the sheet)
Ctrl-h (shortcut for edit|replace)
what: = (an equal sign)
with: =
replace all

Just to see if those formulas recalculate ok.

===
I didn't notice this before, but that f.xla in the formula looks very strange.
If the addin is open, then the workbook name shouldn't be part of the
formula--and if the addin is closed, then the formula should contain the
drive/path/filename.

If the first edit|replace doesn't work, I'd try replacing
what: f.xls!
with: (leave blank)
replace all

(It can't hurt much to try!)

bh1 wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bh1 bh1 is offline

I tried both thank you very much.

But when looking at the formula calculation steps it still says that the
xHXCross results in #name? when you evaluate the formula. The f.xla shows up
in both the links list and the addin list. Should it? In the links list it
says "source is open" if I select update nothing happens. Is there a way to
open the .xla file to check that the xHXCross function is in fact in that
file and how does it know to look in that addin for that function?

This may be a bit much for this forum, if so how do I locate someone in my
area who is good with addins that maybe could look at the program for me.

again thanks for the help

bh1 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And they both failed I presume???

Yes. f.xla should appear in both the links and addin list.

Maybe...It depends on if the developer locked the workbook's project.

There may be ways to check to see if there is a UDF with that name, but I think
I'd go back to the developer and ask for help.

And maybe you could put an advertisement in craigslist.com--or maybe your local
college/university's newspaper???