Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Converting hours, minutes, seconds, to hours

How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean decimal hours, multiply by 24 and format as General (or Number, not Time)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"chouck" wrote in message ...
| How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If you mean how do you convert it to decimal hours, then multiply by 24 as
Excel stores hours as fractions of a day (24 hours)
With value in A1
=A1*24 result 129.55
Format the cell with the formula as General or Number
FormatCellsNumberGeneral

If you are saying you want it to display as 5 days 9 hours 33 minutes then
FormatCellsNumberCustomd:hh:mm:ss
5:09:33:00
--

Regards
Roger Govier

How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If cell A1 contains an Excel Date/Time value (eg 129:39:00)

You can use a Custom Number Format to "display" the hours:
From the Excel Main Menu:
<format<cells<number tab
Category: Custom
Type: [h]
Click [OK]

Or...you could use a formula to display the hours:
=TEXT(A1,"[h]")....which returns text
or
=--TEXT(A1,"[h]")....which returns a numeric value

Or...you could simply calculate the hours:
=A1/(1/24)

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"chouck" wrote in message
How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Of course, the last option I posted:
=A1/(1/24)

Should have been:
=A1*24

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Ron Coderre" wrote in message
If cell A1 contains an Excel Date/Time value (eg 129:39:00)

You can use a Custom Number Format to "display" the hours:
From the Excel Main Menu:

"chouck" wrote in message
How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try again. It does work!
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"chouck" wrote in message
How do you vonvert hours, minutes, seconds (129:39:00) to hours?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try firstly reading again what your screen is telling you, and secondly
reading again what you were told to do.

You tell us that you got the value 15.36, but if you look again I think
you'll find it is saying 15:36, not 15.36 (unless for some unknown reason
you decided to custom format the cell as hh.mm with a full stop instead of
the customary colon in the time format). [If you want to understand why
it's saying 15:36, try temporarily reformatting as [h]:mm, and then
calculate for yourself what 24 times your original 129:39 is.]

Roger told you:
"Format the cell with the formula as General or Number
FormatCellsNumberGeneral"
.... but how have *you* formatted the cell with the formula?

Read Roger's post again. Do as he said. Then see what answer you get.
--
David Biddulph