Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default FORMULA

DEAR FRIENDS,

I WANT TO ASSIGN NUMERIC VALUE TO ALPHABET
FOR EXP.

A=1,B=3,C=5 AND SO ON UP TO Z AND THE RESULT SHOULD BE STORED IN THE NEXT ROW
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

I assume the result should be in the next COLUMN

With A,B,C ...Z in A1:A26, enter in B1
=CODE(A1)-65+ROW(A1)
and copy down

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"PRASHANT" wrote in message
DEAR FRIENDS,

I WANT TO ASSIGN NUMERIC VALUE TO ALPHABET
FOR EXP.

A=1,B=3,C=5 AND SO ON UP TO Z AND THE RESULT SHOULD BE STORED IN THE NEXT
ROW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have two other solutions posted and, quite frankly, I don't think they
do what you want. But quite frankly, I am not so sure my solution below does
what you want either. If it turns out that none of our attempted solutions
do what you want, you will have to provide more information... it would be
helpful if you gave an actual example (or even several examples) of what you
have in your cells, where you want the formula (or formulas) to be placed at
AND what you expect the formula(s) to display.

My attempted solution
With a letter of the alphabet in some cell, put this formula in the cell
directly under it...

=CHOOSE(CODE(UPPER(OFFSET(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),C OLUMN())),-1,0)))-64,9,12,3,etc)

where the "etc" in the formula above is the rest of the (comma separated)
values for each letter in the alphabet. That means, for the above values, a
9 will be displayed if the cell above it has an "A" in it, a 12 will be
displayed if the cell above it has a "B" in it, a 3 will be displayed if the
cell above it has a "C" in it, and so on for the rest of the alphabet.

Rick