Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date stamp when a value is entered in a cell

I have a spreadsheet with several different name tabs. Joe tab has col. h-i
that on a daily basis he will go into and put a 1 in. On sheet3, I have all
the names listed and when "joe" updates any of his cells in h-i, I have a
formula of =IF(Joe!H4=1,NOW(),""), but it's changing the date everyday.
I've read some suggestions below on using change function in VB, but not
being very familar at all with coding etc. mine obviously didn't work.
Any further suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look he

Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"bbrant2" wrote in message ...
|I have a spreadsheet with several different name tabs. Joe tab has col. h-i
| that on a daily basis he will go into and put a 1 in. On sheet3, I have all
| the names listed and when "joe" updates any of his cells in h-i, I have a
| formula of =IF(Joe!H4=1,NOW(),""), but it's changing the date everyday.
| I've read some suggestions below on using change function in VB, but not
| being very familar at all with coding etc. mine obviously didn't work.
| Any further suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Take a look at the thread that you posted under at your other posting.

http://tinyurl.com/28r266

All the necessary code and instructions there.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:20:00 -0800, bbrant2
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with several different name tabs. Joe tab has col. h-i
that on a daily basis he will go into and put a 1 in. On sheet3, I have all
the names listed and when "joe" updates any of his cells in h-i, I have a
formula of =IF(Joe!H4=1,NOW(),""), but it's changing the date everyday.
I've read some suggestions below on using change function in VB, but not
being very familar at all with coding etc. mine obviously didn't work.
Any further suggestions or help would be appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You will first need to goto Tools-Options-Calculations Tab, and check the
"iteration" checkbox (this tells Excell to allow circular references). Then
input the following formula.

=IF(Joe!H4=1,IF(A1="",NOW(),A1),"")

Replace A1 with the cell the formula is in so that it refers to itself.