Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Date stamp when a value is entered in a cell on another worksheet

Hello all, help requested on date stamp.
I have a workbook with several name tabs. Within these name tabs, colum
H,I,J,K will have a 1 entered into them as people update the cells.
I then have sheet3 that has these same names and a link to cells h-K of
their worksheet. Each time a 1 is put into their tab, I want it to return a
date on sheet3. Right now I'm using a formula on sheet3 of
=IF(Joe!H4=1,NOW(),""), but it's changing everday. I want it to stay the
date the 1 was entered.
I'm not good with VB to use the change functions that I've read on other
inquiries. I tried them, but no luck for me.
can anyone give a helpful suggestion?
Thank You!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is a tiny trick to avoid VBA completely. Work backwards:

Enter the date in the summary sheet and have the Joe sheet link back to it.

Using your example, go to sheet3, cell H1, and touch:
CNTRL-;

In sheet3, cell H1 have the formula:
=IF(Sheet3!H1="","",1)

Now the Joe sheet responds to a manually entered date in sheet3 instead of
sheet3 having to respond to a "1" entered in Joe.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765