Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Bob is offline

Default How to get text

I am not sure if anybody asked this question and I am sorry if I am repeting
it but i really need help. I made a chart with column A with names and Column
B with numbers. Now at the end I am trying to have in Column A the person
with the highest number only to be shown.
For Example,

A B

John 12
Sarah 3
Isabel 55
Caroline 33

Highest score has: Isabel

Please write in details I tried if and but it gives me #value I am messing a
lot somewhere
Thank you all so much for you time and help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like this:

With your posted data in A1:B4

This formula returns the name associated with the hight sco
=INDEX(A1:A4,MATCH(MAX(B1:B4),B1:B4,0))

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2003, WinXP

"Bob" wrote:

I am not sure if anybody asked this question and I am sorry if I am repeting
it but i really need help. I made a chart with column A with names and Column
B with numbers. Now at the end I am trying to have in Column A the person
with the highest number only to be shown.
For Example,

A B

John 12
Sarah 3
Isabel 55
Caroline 33

Highest score has: Isabel

Please write in details I tried if and but it gives me #value I am messing a
lot somewhere
Thank you all so much for you time and help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well you haven't told us what formula you tried, so we can't help you to
debug it, but one that would work is =INDEX(A2:A5,MATCH(MAX(B2:B5),B2:B5))

If your numbers were in the first column and names in the second you could
do it more simply with VLOOKUP.
--
David Biddulph