Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What would Excel Assume if DATE left blank

I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

blank is blank, but zero is Saturday, January 00, 1900

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765

"Neon520" wrote:

I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I prefer to think of date 0 as midnight on the day that will be Sunday
1/1/1900 in one nanosecond later!
Then I do not need worry what 00/01/1900 means!
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Neon520" wrote in message
I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

Blank is nothing..........but sero is 1/1/1904 in the 1904 date system.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Neon520" wrote:

I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The problem is when I left the cell BLANK, the formula still generate a
result, that's why I think that Excel assume the blank cell as a certain
date, and calculate some type of result even though the cell is blank!!!

"Neon520" wrote in message
I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Neon520" wrote in message
I doing some date calculation, it seems like Excel assume some date when I
left the cell blank, anyone know what does Excel assume when the cell left
blank for the date?

That's because dates are nothing more than formatted numbers to Excel,
thus a blank (valued as zero) is a valid date.

Excel adds one for each subsequent day (and fractions for time) which
lets us do some really cool math with dates.

The trick is to use an IF before you do your math and skip the math
unless both cells have actual values entered.