Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Identify if a cell contains a numerical string

Have a long list of identifiers:

E6A3289A
F9DB1200G5W
KRQ7356VQ
G1200GUWY87

In a helper column, we need to identify (true or false is ok) if the
value in the first column contains the string 1200.
It may appear anywhere in the cell value; it is not consistently found
after or before a given number of other characters within that cell.

Extra points if it can be done within the result fields in a pivot
table. (IOW, filter for the 1200 on the drag and drop page.)
Ideas?

Pierre
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 15, 12:31 pm, Pierre wrote:
Have a long list of identifiers:

E6A3289A
F9DB1200G5W
KRQ7356VQ
G1200GUWY87

In a helper column, we need to identify (true or false is ok) if the
value in the first column contains the string 1200.
It may appear anywhere in the cell value; it is not consistently found
after or before a given number of other characters within that cell.

Extra points if it can be done within the result fields in a pivot
table. (IOW, filter for the 1200 on the drag and drop page.)
Ideas?

Pierre

You could try the FIND function:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("1200",E14)),"","Found")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:31:26 -0800 (PST), Pierre wrote:

Have a long list of identifiers:

E6A3289A
F9DB1200G5W
KRQ7356VQ
G1200GUWY87

In a helper column, we need to identify (true or false is ok) if the
value in the first column contains the string 1200.

Assuming data is in A1:An

=COUNTIF(A1,"*1200*")0

It may appear anywhere in the cell value; it is not consistently found
after or before a given number of other characters within that cell.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jan 15, 12:38*pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:31:26 -0800 (PST), Pierre wrote:
Have a long list of identifiers:

E6A3289A
F9DB1200G5W
KRQ7356VQ
G1200GUWY87

In a helper column, we need to identify (true or false is ok) if the
value in the first column contains the string 1200.

Assuming data is in A1:An

=COUNTIF(A1,"*1200*")0

It may appear anywhere in the cell value; it is not consistently found
after or before a given number of other characters within that cell.

--ron

Thanks to both of you. Both work fine.

Pierre