Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Capitalize first letter in sentence

I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Like this:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

This leaves the rest of the string unchanged and capitalises the first
letter. You may like to add this amendment:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

which will ensure that the rest of the string is lower case.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 14, 10:13*pm, Lightjag
wrote:
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. *How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your list is in column A. in B1, type =PROPER(A1) and copy down.
then you can paste special values.

Thanks
Gaurav

"Lightjag" wrote in message
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

PROPER will capitalize the first letter of every word.

Pete

"Lightjag" wrote in message

I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. *How can I do this?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hey Pete,

Just curious. Does the formula you mentioned do anything extra than the
PROPER function? Just increasing my knowledge.

Thanks
Gaurav

wrote:
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Peter,

I think your first suggestion is missing a ")". I'm thinking it should be:
=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

Regards,
Paul

--

wrote:
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What am I doing wrong?

Both of these leave me with all upper case.

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1))

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1)&LOWER(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)))

A1 contains this is some text

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:39:40 -0000, "David Biddulph" <groups [at]
biddulph.org.uk wrote:

PROPER will capitalize the first letter of each word, while Pete's formula
capitalizes just the first word of the string.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gord,

Paul Clive has pointed out that I missed a bracket off - should be:

=UPPER(LEFT(A1,1))&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)
and

biddulph.org.uk wrote:
PROPER will capitalize the first letter of each word, while Pete's formula
capitalizes just the first word of the string.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gaurav, mate your blood's worth bottling. I have wasted hours to sort this
out until I saw your post on how to do it. As I have a list of over 600 names
and addresses in capitals I need to convert back to Title case, this will
make it a breeze.......

"Lightjag" wrote in message
I am referencing a text string in excel, and would like to return the text
string with the first letter capitalized. How can I do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yep.

Finally got the right combination of brackets.

I had the doubles in the wrong place and you had not enough<g

Thanks to PCLIVE and Pete

Gord