Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default converting .html to regen lost .xls file

Excel 2003-Dell Inspiron XP SP2: In trying to consolidate some .xls files I
somehow deleted an *.xls file that was linked (or shared) with its *_files. I
still have the *_files file. How can I use that to regenerate (recreate) the
original *.xls document? I made a dummy blank .xls file with the same name
(*_.xls), but when I click on an html inside the *_files file or try opening
through Excel, it either can't find the dummy (dialog box--this is the most
common outcome) or it opens the blank dummy with no changes--it's still
blank. I can see the pages (there are 8 sheets) as an .html with all the
bells & whistles (pics, formatting, color, spacing all correct), but "save
as" .xls ... doesn't. Is there a quicker method than cut-paste, repeat (which
brings the raw text & screws the bells & whistles). The *.xls dummy is next
to, not in, the *_files. I'm wondering if the date of the .xls (which is
later) than the .html group has something to do with it, and that may have
broken, or prevents linking the two.

Suggestions?