Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "Grouping" based on value in a column

Hey guys, thanks a ton for your help with this. I am by no means an excel
expert, lol, I suck. I have a spreadsheet that looks like this:

A B C
1 1: blah1: data
2 1: blah2: data
3 2: apple: data
4 2: banana: data
5 3: orange: data
6 3: cherry: data
7 3: strawberry: data

Now, I want to "group", for lack of a better word, rows where the values in
column A are the same. The listed is already sorted by column A. What I need
is if the values are the same in A, and I dont not need a row, when I DELETE
a row, it's "linked" or "grouped" row will be removed. So, if I were to
delete row A7 I want row 5 and 6 to also be deleted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A Pivot Table would be perfect for you:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"Fred" wrote:

Hey guys, thanks a ton for your help with this. I am by no means an excel
expert, lol, I suck. I have a spreadsheet that looks like this:

A B C
1 1: blah1: data
2 1: blah2: data
3 2: apple: data
4 2: banana: data
5 3: orange: data
6 3: cherry: data
7 3: strawberry: data

Now, I want to "group", for lack of a better word, rows where the values in
column A are the same. The listed is already sorted by column A. What I need
is if the values are the same in A, and I dont not need a row, when I DELETE
a row, it's "linked" or "grouped" row will be removed. So, if I were to
delete row A7 I want row 5 and 6 to also be deleted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hmm. yeah I saw this post,
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Excel-105...arate-rows.htm, and the
second option the guy gives would be perfect, but, I am not sure how to pull
it off. Excel is not my thing.. Thanks Ryan.

"Fred" wrote:

Hey guys, thanks a ton for your help with this. I am by no means an excel
expert, lol, I suck. I have a spreadsheet that looks like this:

A B C
1 1: blah1: data
2 1: blah2: data
3 2: apple: data
4 2: banana: data
5 3: orange: data
6 3: cherry: data
7 3: strawberry: data

Now, I want to "group", for lack of a better word, rows where the values in
column A are the same. The listed is already sorted by column A. What I need
is if the values are the same in A, and I dont not need a row, when I DELETE
a row, it's "linked" or "grouped" row will be removed. So, if I were to
delete row A7 I want row 5 and 6 to also be deleted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the range you are working with, then click Data Pivot Table Next
(the range is highlighted) Next Layout (drag the "A" into the space that
says "Row" and drag the "B" and "C" into the space that says "Data"). Then
hit "OK" and hit "Finish". Also, look into doing this with Access,
especially since you say you want to "DELETE a row, it's "linked" or
"grouped" row will be removed." Access is great for these kinds of things!!

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy