Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting cell

We have been trying to format a cell to take numbers with three decimals. As
soon as we type the number after the decimal point, the point shows as a
forward slash. We've tried all methods of formatting to no avail.

IE:

we want 12.056 and it will show 12/056,
or it will come up like .0445 (example)

Thanks for any help

(microsoft office 2003)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It kinds of sounds like there's an autocorrection entry that changes dots to
slashes.

In xl2003:
tools|Autocorrect options|Autocorrect tab
look for that dot (.) entry and delete it.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is deleting the autocorrect entry (if that is the problem).

If you want a slash, then this won't affect any slash that you type.

And this autocorrect entry (as well as any other autocorrect entry) is shared in
other MSOffice programs (MSWord, Excel, PPT, ...).

Do you want slashes replaced with dots sometimes?

duke and vicky wrote:

We have been trying to format a cell to take numbers with three decimals. As
soon as we type the number after the decimal point, the point shows as a
forward slash. We've tried all methods of formatting to no avail.

IE:

we want 12.056 and it will show 12/056,
or it will come up like .0445 (example)

Thanks for any help

(microsoft office 2003)

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks so much for your help... it worked! We are just trying to figure
out why all of a sudden it changed, as we never had problems with
the slashes before and definitely never changed the autocorrect.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!!

Duke and Vicky

duke and vicky wrote:

We have been trying to format a cell to take numbers with three decimals. As
soon as we type the number after the decimal point, the point shows as a
forward slash. We've tried all methods of formatting to no avail.

IE:

we want 12.056 and it will show 12/056,
or it will come up like .0445 (example)

Thanks for any help

(microsoft office 2003)

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is a common suggestion when someone asks: how can I enter dates quickly

People suggest that they turn that autocorrect option on (replace dot with
slash), then use the numeric keypad to type their dates. They use the decimal
point on that numeric keypad and have it autocorrected to the date separator
character (that slash).

Most people suggest that they fix the autocorrect option when finished. My bet
is that the user didn't turn it off when they were done entering the dates.