Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default help with formula

How can I subtract a percentage from a whole number ie: 10,000. - 90%
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wouldn't simply multiplting by the percentage do what you want?

=10000*90%

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"mary" wrote in message
How can I subtract a percentage from a whole number ie: 10,000. - 90%

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I assume you mean: 10,000 - 90% of 10,000. If so, then if 10,000 is in A1,
the formula in B1 could be either =A1 - A1 * 90% or =A1 * 10%

"mary" wrote in message
How can I subtract a percentage from a whole number ie: 10,000. - 90%

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Dec 29, 7:22 pm, mary wrote:
How can I subtract a percentage from a whole number ie: 10,000. - 90%

Hi Mary

Perhaps with your number in A1 then conceptually speaking I think the
following is easiest:

=A1*(100%-90%)

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How would you do it with a pencil and paper or a calculator?

Same in Excel.

=10,000-(10,000*.9)

=10,000*(1-.9)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP