Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Algebra

Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

B/4 - B/5 = 8
5B - 4B = 160
B = 160
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007b

" wrote:

Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You don't need a computer to solve that. By the time it would take you to
program the equation you can do it in your head. It's first grade Algebra.
Simply multiple both sides by the common denominator (4 * 5) and solve.

20*B/4 - 20*B/5 = 20*8
5B - 4B = 160
B = 160

Test:
160/4 -160/5 = 40 - 32 = 8

wrote in message
Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message

Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks

Thank You, I just wanted to double check, as I was getting 160 as well
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well.....Since you posted in an Excel group...

Try this:

B1: 1
B2: =B1/4-B1/5

From the Excel Main Menu:
<tools<goal seek
....Set cell: B2
....To Value: 8
....By Changing: B1
Click [OK]

Goal Seek will set cel B1 to: 160

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

wrote in message
Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote in message

Please help solve this equation.

B/4 - B/5 = 8

Thanks

Thank You, I just wanted to double check, as I was getting 160 as well

These days people rely so much on calculators that they don't use their own
brains or when they do they don't trust their own answers.

I suggest you keep your mind active by solving as much as you can without
resorting to electronic help. Learn to trust your instincts.