Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Annual Return Formula

I want to calculate the annual return:
Year Return
2004 16.7%
2005 3.2%
2006 13.6%
Annual Return 11.0% <== what formula / array should I use to calc?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you mean the Average return then with your data in A1:B4 then

=AVERAGE(B1:B3)

*Provided* the individual averages are of the same proportion. ie 5/10,
5/100, 5/1000 is 50%, 5%, 0.5% with an *average* of 18.5% but there are 15
*Returns* out of 1110 items which is really a percentage of 1.35%

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Lightjag" wrote in message
I want to calculate the annual return:
Year Return
2004 16.7%
2005 3.2%
2006 13.6%
Annual Return 11.0% <== what formula / array should I use to calc?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

(1+0.162)*(1+0.032)*(1.136)=(1+r)^3
or
1.162*1.032*1.136=(1+r)^3
so
r= (1.162*1.032*1.136)^(1/3)-1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lightjag" wrote in message
I want to calculate the annual return:
Year Return
2004 16.7%
2005 3.2%
2006 13.6%
Annual Return 11.0% <== what formula / array should I use to calc?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sandy's reply reminded me of the GEOMEAN function:
=GEOMEAN(1+C2,1+C3,1+C4)-1
where C2:C4 hold your 16.7%,3.2% AND 13.6% values
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Lightjag" wrote in message
I want to calculate the annual return:
Year Return
2004 16.7%
2005 3.2%
2006 13.6%
Annual Return 11.0% <== what formula / array should I use to calc?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
Sandy's reply reminded me of the GEOMEAN function:

Glad that I do something around here <g