Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Default Formatting a Cell Reference with a Formula

I have tried to do this and cannot, but my formula is a concatenation of up
to 7 fields, including both numbers and text. Although I've formatted the
cells that the concatenated formula is pulling, the dollar amounts are not
being formatted within the concatenated formula result. Is there a way to
format dollars within a concatenation formula?

My formula reads as:
=IF(ISBLANK($H9),"",CONCATENATE($H9," - ","(",I9,")"," ",$J9," ","$",$K9,"
",$L9," "," ","(",$M9,")"))

I would like the dollar field K9 to show as dollars with dollar sign and
appriopriate commas.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In your formula, replace the reference $K9 by TEXT($K9,"$0.00") or whatever
variation you like on the format. [Look at the format of your source cells
if you want to get a clue what format string to use.]
--
David Biddulph

"CC" wrote in message
I have tried to do this and cannot, but my formula is a concatenation of up
to 7 fields, including both numbers and text. Although I've formatted the
cells that the concatenated formula is pulling, the dollar amounts are not
being formatted within the concatenated formula result. Is there a way to
format dollars within a concatenation formula?

My formula reads as:
=IF(ISBLANK($H9),"",CONCATENATE($H9," - ","(",I9,")"," ",$J9," ","$",$K9,"
",$L9," "," ","(",$M9,")"))

I would like the dollar field K9 to show as dollars with dollar sign and
appriopriate commas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CC CC is offline

Is there a way to make parts of a formula bold and or italic?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Replace you reference $K9 with:

TEXT($K9,"$#,##0.00")

and remove the "$" before it.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"CC" wrote in message
I have tried to do this and cannot, but my formula is a concatenation of up
to 7 fields, including both numbers and text. Although I've formatted the
cells that the concatenated formula is pulling, the dollar amounts are not
being formatted within the concatenated formula result. Is there a way to
format dollars within a concatenation formula?

My formula reads as:
=IF(ISBLANK($H9),"",CONCATENATE($H9," - ","(",I9,")"," ",$J9," ","$",$K9,"
",$L9," "," ","(",$M9,")"))

I would like the dollar field K9 to show as dollars with dollar sign and
appriopriate commas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To expand on Sandy's answer, a formula in conditional formatting can format
a cell, but not part of a cell.
A cell which contains text can have a format applied to part of the text,
but that can't be done if the text contains a formula, rather than just
text.
--
David Biddulph

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
No, I'm afraid that formulas cannot format cells.