Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Average a List and sorting

How do I average a list and then find where the average falls within
the list without creating a circular reference. ie

1
2
3
4
average=2.5

so if I sort by that I would get
1
2
2.5
3
4

But excel returns a circular reference if I sort with absolute
cells.

If I sort without absolute cells it averages anything above where the
original average falls. ie

1
2
average1.5
3
4

BG

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fix the value of the AVERAGE formula (by means of Edit | Paste
Special) before you sort. You can give a coloured background to the
average to help highlight it when you have sorted.

Hope this helps.

Pete