Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
amh amh is offline

Default Always Sum a list of %'s to 100%

How do I always get a list of percentages to sum to 100%?

For example, the list below all sums to 100%. I want to develop a formula
so that if I change 6% to 7%, the rest of the numbers will change so that
they all equal 100% again. So basically, the 1% difference needs to be
redistrubted evenly to the other percentages automatically when I change the
6% to 7%. I want this formula to hold all the way through--if I want to
change the 59% to 30% and so on, I still want them to sum to 100%.

59.000%
15.000%
5.000%
2.000%
6.000%
4.000%
2.000%
5.000%
2.000%

Help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

AMH -- Try something like this:

A B
1 59 =a1/a10
2 15 =a2/a10
3 5 etc
4 2
5 6
6 4
7 2
8 5
9 2
10 =sum(A1:A9)

Haven't tried it, but should do the trick. HTH

"AMH" wrote:

How do I always get a list of percentages to sum to 100%?

For example, the list below all sums to 100%. I want to develop a formula
so that if I change 6% to 7%, the rest of the numbers will change so that
they all equal 100% again. So basically, the 1% difference needs to be
redistrubted evenly to the other percentages automatically when I change the
6% to 7%. I want this formula to hold all the way through--if I want to
change the 59% to 30% and so on, I still want them to sum to 100%.

59.000%
15.000%
5.000%
2.000%
6.000%
4.000%
2.000%
5.000%
2.000%

Help is appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Solver is a very powerful tool.

Read this article; this should give you what you want:
http://www.uic.edu/classes/fin/fin512/Data/solver.pdf

Regards,
Ryan--

--