Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default REPT FUNCTION FROM WORKBOOK TO WORKBOOK

EXCELL 2003
I have a job that requires I create several cheat sheets in order to keep
all the information at my fingertips. Some information is basically on all
the cheat sheets. Now, when something changes, I have to go into each one
and change only that sheet. I created a master workbook(I hope I'm using the
correct verbage) that contains all of the common data, so when one piece of
information changes, it will automatically change all sheets in other
workbooks that I formulate to refer to it.
The problem is my formula works for a first time trasnference of data, but
no changes after that made to the master workbook will be passed on to each
individual workbook/sheet.
Here is the formula I'm using in one particular cell:
=REPT(([MASTERCHANGEFILEWORKSHEET.XLS]Sheet1!$H5),1)

Do I have to add to this formula or is there another reason why changes to
the master do not transfer?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The REPT function repeats a string of
text 1 or more times....in the same cell.
Example:
A1: =REPT("some text",3)
returns: "some textsome textsome text"

I think what you're hoping to do is use formulas to read
information from closed workbooks...something Excel doesn't do very well.

To see some alternatives, see these websites:
http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/arch...sed-workbooks/

http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm#files

Depending on your data structures, you may have other options.
(Perhaps using MS Query to pull tabular data into each workbook.)

Does that help?

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)