-   -   entering values without changing the function in the cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/169506-entering-values-without-changing-function-cell.html)

Shea LaRoux

entering values without changing the function in the cell

I guess I am a novice, but there should be a way for the user to input the
appropriate values in the spreadsheet I have created for them without them
changing the functions within the cells as they enter data. ??? HELP!

carlo

entering values without changing the function in the cell

Hi Shea

well in a cell can only be one value or a formula, but not both
simultaneously.
So, if you have a formula and you enter text into that cell, the
formula will be overwritten.

hth

Carlo

On Dec 13, 11:18 am, Shea LaRoux <Shea
wrote:
I guess I am a novice, but there should be a way for the user to input the
appropriate values in the spreadsheet I have created for them without them
changing the functions within the cells as they enter data. ??? HELP!

Stephen[_2_]

entering values without changing the function in the cell

Just to add a little to this reply, typically there will be cells for user
data to be entered and other cells containing formulas to do calculations
based on whatever user data is entered. A simple example would be a bank
balance calculator. Money paid in would be put into column A (starting at
A2). Money withdrawn would be put in column B (starting at B2). Opening
balance would be put in C1. Then the formula for calculating a running
balance would be put in C2 and copied down column C as far as required:
=C1+A2-B2

If you need more help tell us specifically what your spreadsheet is trying
to achieve.