Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JRD JRD is offline

Default Converting text to numbers

IS there a way of converting text in a column of cells to numbers?

e.g.
1 None
2 One
3 Two
4 Three
5 Four

How do I convert that to 0,1,2,3,4 in an adjacent column of cells?

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It depends how many of these text values you have but one way is to create a
table of text and numbers like this:-

None 0
One 1
Two 2
three 3
four 4

In my case these are in E1 to F5 and you can add as many as you want to this
list.

To convert a number in A1 put this in B1. To convert a column simply drag down
=VLOOKUP(A1,$E$1:$F$5,2,FALSE)

Mike