Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Concatenation

I have a situation where there are 6 colums with data in each row:

V, 02, BA,1,3,R

When I concatenate this, the result drops the 0 preceding the 2 and gives
the result V2BA13R when it should be V02BA13R. How do I do this?

I cannot change the 0 to a O as part of the process. It must remain as 0. I
attempted to find/replace the 0 with '0 to make it text but that didn't work
either.

Anyone have any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

You could use TEXT for col B's data,
eg in G1:
=A1&TEXT(B1,"00")&C1&D1&E1&F1
--
Max
Singapore
"markmcd" wrote:
I have a situation where there are 6 colums with data in each row:

V, 02, BA,1,3,R

When I concatenate this, the result drops the 0 preceding the 2 and gives
the result V2BA13R when it should be V02BA13R. How do I do this?

I cannot change the 0 to a O as part of the process. It must remain as 0. I
attempted to find/replace the 0 with '0 to make it text but that didn't work
either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming they are in A1:F1
=A1&TEXT(B1,"00")&C1&D1&E1&F1
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"markmcd" wrote in message
I have a situation where there are 6 colums with data in each row:

V, 02, BA,1,3,R

When I concatenate this, the result drops the 0 preceding the 2 and gives
the result V2BA13R when it should be V02BA13R. How do I do this?

I cannot change the 0 to a O as part of the process. It must remain as 0.
attempted to find/replace the 0 with '0 to make it text but that didn't
work
either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the 02 is not currently text, then why hasn't the 0 been dropped before the
concatenation?

Presumably the 2 is a number formatted as custom 00

If it is currently text, it should hold the 0 through your concatenation.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP