Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Trouble with null values

Hi all,

Can someone please help me with a problem I'm having using an IF statement
that refers to cells that may have a null value.

I've created a sheet for recording student exam results. Column D shows how
many major errors have been made, Column E shows how many minor errors have
been made, Column F gives a P or F depending on the amount of errors made; 0
major and 4 or less minor are a pass, 1 major or 5 or more minor are a fail.
The formula looks like this;

=IF(D3=1,"F",IF(E34,"F","P"))

and works fine.

However if columns D and E are empty, then I don't want anything displayed in
column F, at the moment all cells in column F are displaying a P. I think
that it may involve more nested IFs for the formula but I seem to be going
around in circles.

Hope someone can help sort this for me,

Thanks,
Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(OR(ISBLANK(D3),ISBLANK(E3)),"",IF(D3=1,"F",IF (E34,"F","P")))

Regards,
Stefi

Tazzy via OfficeKB.com ezt *rta:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Or another way...

=IF(D3="","",IF(E3="","",IF(D3=1,"F",IF(E34,"F", "P"))))

Hope this helps,

Gav.

"Tazzy via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob/Stefi,

Thank you both for such a quick answer, have saved both of your formulae in
my ever growing list. Spreadsheet now looks the way I want it to.

Kind Reagrds,
Tazzy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks to you as well Gav,