Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto Filter and Merged Cells

Please help!

I am trying to figure out how to use the Auto Filter with my merged cells.
Here is an example of what I am trying to do. (M=merged, D=data)

A B C D E F
1 D D D D D D
2 M M D M M M
3 M M D M M M
4 M M D M M M
5 D D D D D D

Basically, Cells A2, A3 & A4 are merged with one word in the cell as are
cell B2, B3 & B4 BUT C2, C3 & C4 all have different data in them. When
it is all layed out, it looks like Column 2 has data in A2, B2, C2, C3, C4,
D2, E2 & F2.

When I have auto filter on and filter based on information in A2 (which is
really merged A2, A3 & A4) it does not give me information from C2, C3 & C4.
I need it to do this.

Also, when I filter in column C, C2, C3 or C4 it brings up all information
in A2, B2 D2, E2 and F2.

So filtering in column C with information in C4 will bring up info in A2 but
filtering in column A with information in A2 will not bring up information in
C4.

Does this make sense? I really need help with this. Is is possible?

Thanks,
Alison
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Welcome to the wonderful world of merged cells<g

Unmerge your cells and the all kids will play nicely.

Keep them merged and lose much functionality in filtering, sorting, copying,
pasting and a host of others I can't think of right now.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:12:00 -0800, AlisonMP2
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Alison

Like so many before (myself included) you have fallen foul of the problems
with merged cells.
They should be avoided at all costs!!!
Rather than merge cells, use center data across selection.
make your selection for filtering based upon the first column of the
centered selection.

--

Regards
Roger Govier