Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Data Validation -- Dates

Good afternoon --

I'd like to limit entries in a column to dates in the current month. I'm
using the Data Validation Dates Between approach. My first date works
fine:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),1)

My ending date formula works fine in the spreadsheet but, when I copy it
into the data validation box, it gives me an error message. Here's the
formula:

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),0)

The error message says I can't make reference to other worksheets or
workbooks.

Can someone point me in the right direction (as befuddled as I may be)?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())+1,0)

the reason EOMONTH does not work is because it is part of an add-in and it
resides in another workbook

the above formula returns the same result as EOMONTH

Peo Sjoblom

"pdberger" wrote in message
Good afternoon --

I'd like to limit entries in a column to dates in the current month. I'm
using the Data Validation Dates Between approach. My first date works
fine:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),1)

My ending date formula works fine in the spreadsheet but, when I copy it
into the data validation box, it gives me an error message. Here's the
formula:

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),0)

The error message says I can't make reference to other worksheets or
workbooks.

Can someone point me in the right direction (as befuddled as I may be)?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel never seems to follow any standards!

InsertNameDefine
Name: EOM
Refers to: =EOMONTH(NOW(),0)

=EOM

Excel will accept that as a validation formula without complaining but the
validation does not work.

Excel will accept that as a conditional format formula without complaining
and the formatting will work.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"pdberger" wrote in message
Good afternoon --

I'd like to limit entries in a column to dates in the current month. I'm
using the Data Validation Dates Between approach. My first date
works
fine:

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY()),1)

My ending date formula works fine in the spreadsheet but, when I copy it
into the data validation box, it gives me an error message. Here's the
formula:

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),0)

The error message says I can't make reference to other worksheets or
workbooks.

Can someone point me in the right direction (as befuddled as I may be)?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm guessing another possibility, instead of specifying a Between set of
conditions, would be to use Custom and set the formula to this...

=MONTH(A1)=MONTH(TODAY())

(using the appropriate cell reference, of course) thus avoiding this issue
altogether.

Rick