Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default drop-list with different colors for the same charachter

Hi. I want to enter SAME charachter (a wingding symbol) but in different
colors from a drop-down list created by using Data Validation. Anyone out
there who knows?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There are tons of drop-down lists, all using data validation he

Hope this gives you some ideas. If not, post back, with MORE INFORMATION
about what you want...it's kind of hard to tell what you really want (at
least for me)...

Regards,
Ryan---

--
RyGuy

"coronettan" wrote:

Hi. I want to enter SAME charachter (a wingding symbol) but in different
colors from a drop-down list created by using Data Validation. Anyone out
there who knows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't find any solution but I will try to describe my
problem a littlke bit better.

I have a worksheet for a project that shows different subactivities in the
A column. The first row shows all the month (A1="Activity", B1="jan, C1="feb"
and so on).

To see how the project is going on I want to enter the status for the
activities for a certain month. Instead of type in "started", "ongoing" etc
in every cell I want to use status colors and use the same Wingdings symbol.
For example I want to enter a green quad for "started" and a yellow quad for
"ongoing". I want to use the drop-down list function that you can create
under Data/Validation.

You can solve this partly by using different Wingding characters but the
dropdown list dont show the symbols correctly. The sheet will look messy as
well.

BR

"coronettan" wrote:

Hi. I want to enter SAME charachter (a wingding symbol) but in different
colors from a drop-down list created by using Data Validation. Anyone out
there who knows?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps this will do what you want. It uses Data Validation (a technique you
want to use) in conjunction with a Combo Box:

http://www.techonthenet.com/excel/qu...eate_combo.php

One more example he
http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xldropdown.htm

Hope that helps.