-   -   how do I get lookup to work (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/16732-how-do-i-get-lookup-work.html)

Grant

how do I get lookup to work

Hi All,
I have a growing list of about 3000 8 digit phone numbers and I need to
check if the 3rd and 4th digits of these numbers (eg 74) is equal to another
number in a list (array) of about 15 numbers and if so to flag it. But I'm
getting nowhere. I tried lookup (which will pick the number closest number -
not look for an exact match), and Vlookup which just didn't seem to work. Can
anyone point me is the right direction... any help and advice would really be
appreciated. Thanks!
--
Grant Turri-Petrie

Steve R

Try

=INDEX($E$1:$E$12,MATCH(MID(A2,3,2)*1,$E$1:$E$12,0 ),1)

Where E1:E12 is your array of two digit numbers to check.

A no-match will return #Value (if the number in A2 has too few digits) or
#NA (if no match).

Steve

"Grant" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have a growing list of about 3000 8 digit phone numbers and I need to
check if the 3rd and 4th digits of these numbers (eg 74) is equal to
another
number in a list (array) of about 15 numbers and if so to flag it. But I'm
getting nowhere. I tried lookup (which will pick the number closest
number -
not look for an exact match), and Vlookup which just didn't seem to work.
Can
anyone point me is the right direction... any help and advice would really
be
appreciated. Thanks!
--
Grant Turri-Petrie

Dave Peterson

maybe something like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(MID(A1,3,2),Sheet2!$a$1:$A$15,0 )),"found it","missing")

Grant wrote:

Hi All,
I have a growing list of about 3000 8 digit phone numbers and I need to
check if the 3rd and 4th digits of these numbers (eg 74) is equal to another
number in a list (array) of about 15 numbers and if so to flag it. But I'm
getting nowhere. I tried lookup (which will pick the number closest number -
not look for an exact match), and Vlookup which just didn't seem to work. Can
anyone point me is the right direction... any help and advice would really be
appreciated. Thanks!
--
Grant Turri-Petrie

--

Dave Peterson

Grant

Steve and Dave. Thanks for your suggestions... You have saved me hours of
work... Thanks again.